Post-Doctoral Research Fellow
My main research interests are in cognition and perception in autism spectrum disorders (ASD). Currently, my research focusses on the integration of sensory information across modalities e.g. audiovisual perception in individuals with ASD. Previously, my research has explored visual perception of emotion in children and adults with ASD using a novel, reverse correlation technique. In addition to this I am interested in the impact of anxiety and mental health issues on the lives of individuals with ASD. I am currently working as a postdoctoral research fellow at the Perceptual Neuroscience Lab for Autism and Development (PNLab).
Keywords: Visual Perception, Sensory Integration, Autism
- Ainsworth, K., Robertson, A., Welsh, H., Day, M., Watt, J., Barry, F., Stanfield, A., Melville, C. (under review). Anxiety in Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders: Perspectives from Practitioners, The Journal of Mental Health.
- Clark, A M., Choby, A., Ainsworth, K., Thompson, D. R. (2015). Addressing Conflict of Interest in Non-Pharmacological Research, The International Journal of Clinical Practice 69:3 270- 273.
- Elliott, M. A., and Ainsworth, K. (2012). Predicting University Undergraduates’ Binge-drinking Behavior: A Comparative Test of the One- and Two-component Theories of Planned Behavior, Addictive Behaviors, 37, 92–101.
Conference Oral Presentations (selection)
- Ainsworth, K., Courchesne, V., Mottron, L. and Bertone., A. (2017). Feedback improves orientation discrimination in neurotypical adults, but not in adults with autism: a pilot study, Vision Health Research Network Annual Meeting, Montreal, Canada (November 7th 2017)
- Ainsworth, K., Robertson, A., Welsh, H., Day, M., Watt, J., Barry, F., Stanfield, A., Melville, C. (2017). Anxiety in Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders: Perspectives from Practitioners, Scottish Autism Research Group Annual Meeting, Edinburgh, UK (2nd May 2017).
- Ainsworth, K., Garrod. O., Jack. R. E., Lee., J., Adolphs. R., Schyns. P., Simmons. D. (2016). Using Reverse Correlation to Model Dynamic Mental Representations of Facial Expressions of Emotion in Autism Spectrum Disorders, Michaelmas Term Research Seminars at University of Oxford, Oxford, UK (20th October 2015).
- Ainsworth, K., Garrod. O., Tanaka, J.W., Adolphs. R., Schyns. P., Simmons. D. (2015). Modeling the perception of facial expressions of emotions in adults and children with autism spectrum disorders, Psychology Postgraduate Affairs Group 30th Annual Conference, Glasgow, UK (21st – 24th July 2015).
- Ainsworth, K., Garrod. O., Jack. R. E., Lee., J., Adolphs. R., Schyns. P., Simmons. D. (2014). Modeling Dynamic Mental Representations of Facial Expressions of Emotion in Autism Spectrum Disorders, International Meeting for Autism Research, Atlanta, Georgia (14th-17th May 2014).
- Ainsworth, K. (2011). Cognitive Predictors of Binge Drinking: Testing the Predictive Validity of a Two-component Theory of Planned Behavior in Undergraduate Students, British Psychological Society’s Undergraduate Conference 2011, Dundee, Scotland (10 th March 2011).
Conference Poster Presentations (selection)
- Ainsworth, K., Tullo, D., Pietracupa, M., Guy, J, Bertone, A. (2018). Local and Global Face Identity Discrimination in Children, Adolescents and Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder, International Society for Autism Research Annual Meeting, Rotterdam, The Netherlands (May 9-12th 2018)
- Ainsworth, K., Tullo, D., Pietracupa, M., Guy, J, Bertone, A. (2018). Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder utilize local viewing strategies for facial identity discrimination: an eye tracking study, Vision Sciences Society, Florida, USA (May 18-23, 2018)
- Ainsworth, K., Simmons, D.R., Garrod, O., Delis, I., Heptonstall, B. , Schyns P.G., Tanaka, J.W. (2015). Revealing Sub-Categorization Strategies Used By Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders to Decode Facial Expressions of Emotion, International Meeting for Autism Research, Salt Lake City, Utah (13th-16th May 2015).
- Ainsworth, K., Garrod. O., Jack. R. E., Holcomb. C., Adolphs. R., Schyns. P., Simmons. D. (2013). Perceptions of Facial Expressions of Emotion in Autism Spectrum Disorders: Reading the ‘minds eye’ Using Reverse Correlation, European Conference for Vision Perception 2013, Bremen, Germany (25th-29th August 2013).